Contact

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Break Out the Champagne Meringues!


This week's Baking Beauties assignment was to tackle meringue cookies.
I have made meringue cookies on many different occasions, so I wasn't too concerned about the execution of it.
However, I was interested to see the results of a meringue done in a kitchen with proper temperature control. See, I am used to kitchens that are either incredibly hot and humid (some of you may remember the Morningside Manor) or incredibly cold (our last apartment). It definitely helped produce an airier and crispier final product - that, or my technique is improving. I'd like to think it's a bit of both!



So, one of my oldest and dearest friends, Kim (of
Not Julia) is getting married this month. I had the privilege of being appointed her maid of honour, and as such, had the task of throwing her a soiree to celebrate the end of her single days. I thought there would be no better place to bring an assortment of meringue cookies. And, there was nothing more fitting than to flavour them with champagne.

I must admit that I am not really a fan of meringues. I love how they look and they are one of my favourite things to pipe out. But, since I prefer things are not overly sweet, I find them to be a bit much. I am happy to say that there were several ladies in attendance of Kim's bachelorette that happened to love them... so I will conclude that this week's challenge was a success!

No comments: