Contact

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hopping on the Bandwagon



I know macarons have been the new "it" dessert for quite a while now, knocking cupcakes back to where they belong - the "day old" sale rack on the bakery counter at your local grocery store.

I have been a huge fan of these delicious little cookies for quite some time, for a lot of reasons really. The flavour combinations are absolutely endless. They make portion controlling very easy; for me, they are so sweet and indulgent that one alone can satisfy. They let me use up all of those darn egg whites that are leftover after I make ice cream! Plus, they are just so darn adorable.



I recently purchased the delightfully simple and gorgeously styled "i ♥ macarons" by Hisako Ogita. The book just ignites your imagination. She has included many flavour inspirations for you to test out, from the obvious (coffee with bitter ganache) to those with international flare (black sesame seed and purple yam). Each process is photographed for an easy step-by-step guide to tackling a mythically difficult recipe.

To test drive the cookbook I had a hard time deciding on what to make. I finally settled on cinnamon macarons with bitter ganache and topped them off with cocoa nibs. They were a hit, especially with my little Avery. Who knew he would have such cultured taste at two years of age! As you can see, his sophistication doesn't include table manners. "Wipe your face young man!"



Anyways, if you are eager to jump on the food fad bandwagon, I would suggest you pick up this book. At the least, it would make a wonderful addition to any cookbook collection!

1 comment:

Graceful Oven said...

I love them too...yours sound delish!!!